Sadly, the through-hole J201 is no longer produced by the major brands, and remaining supplies from ebay/China are often so out of spec, they are not usable. SMD is the solution. The SMD (surface-mount device) version of this JFET is still available, and is produced today by leading chip manufacturers with very high tolerances. Great news right? Well, SMD and DIY don't mix well for most (practically all) people.
Check out the size-comparison picture on this page. The SMD package is the black spec next to the 2 pieces of instant rice. A regular through-hole JFET is also pictured. Obviously, these things are tiny. While some builders may have "some" smd experience, probably none will match the quality of assembly of these factory-produced prefabricated micro-PCBs with the J201 already soldered into place. Beautiful!
- Factory-soldered smd version of J201 on-board
- Used as a "tube-replacement" in many DIY circuits that are emulating amplifier tones
- Just use some cut-off leads from a resistor or diode, and solder to the 3 pads and you have a through-hole JFET
- The pads are marked for Drain, Source and Gate, making these super easy to integrate into your main PCB
- Your order will be packed in a single Anti-Static bag (1 bag, regardless of quantity).
- Trusted GuitarPCB Product. If you have bought these from Barry at GPCB, this is the same product.
- Discounts available for higher quantities.
- 5 pieces come as a convenient strip which are pre-cut ~95% through. Just bend back and forth to separate each piece.
Please verify JFET orientation when you install into your project. We will not be held responsible for damage due to incorrect installation/usage.
|SMD J201 - MMBFJ201 |
Download Datasheet PDF
(actual brand of semiconductor may vary)